This post may contain sponsored ads, which are at no cost to you, Syphonnglobal earns a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The cholesterol levels in the body is usually a thing to always check because of the dangers of having too much cholesterol in the bloodstream. In this article we be answering some few questions about cholesterol.
- What Is Cholesterol?
- Why Should I Be Concerned About Cholesterol?
- What’s the Difference Between “Good” and “Bad” Cholesterol?
- How Much Cholesterol Is Too Much?
- What are The foods That lower Cholesterol Level ?
- How Can I Lower My Cholesterol Levels?
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is an organic molecule. It is a sterol, a type of lipid molecule, and is biosynthesized by all animal cells, because it is an essential structural component of all animal cell membranes. Wikipedia
The body gets cholesterol directly from the food we eat (such as eggs, meats, and dairy products). High cholesterol can have a lot negative impacts on the health. We should checkout for foods that lower cholesterol level so that we can minimize the risk of having cholesterol relate illnesses.
Cholesterol helps the body function properly. It enables your glands to secrete hormones, your liver to produce bile, and the cells to maintain their structural integrity always. But too much of it is usually bad.
Your cholesterol levels is controlled by your lifestyle, your diet and medications.
You can prevent your body from absorbing too much cholesterol with medications. These medications are prescribed by your doctor.
They prevent the small intestine from absorbing the cholesterol from your diet during digestion.
Ezetimibe(zetia) may also be used with statins.
Ask your doctor about bile acid binding resins. These medications bind to bile acids, causing your liver to pull cholesterol out of your blood in the process of making more bile acids.
What’s the Difference Between “Good” and “Bad” Cholesterol?
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is usually referred to as bad cholesterol level, because it delivers cholesterol to the body system. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is often referred to as good cholesterol because it takes away cholesterol from the blood.
How Much Cholesterol Is Too Much?
Doctors suggest your total cholesterol stay below 200 mg/dL. This is the breakdown:
|Less than 200||Desirable|
|200 – 239||Borderline high|
|240 and above||High|
Below are ways you can lower your cholesterol level
- Avoid foods with saturated fat, or trans fats as they increase LDL.
- Cut out the skin and fat from your meat, poultry, cheese, shellfish, and fish.
- Eat foods that has been broiled, baked, roasted, or poached instead of fried.
- Take lots of fresh produce and vegetables sources of fat and protein everyday.
- Take at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber each day: These are contained in cereals, breads, rice, and pasta made from whole grains, such as whole wheat bread or spaghetti.
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate to intense exercise everyday. Discuss with your doctor about the safest and best ways for you to exercise.
- Lose weight if you are overweight, engage in some exercises to help you lose weight
- Quit smoking and do your best to stay away from second hand smoke.
- Keep your fat intake between 25 percent and 35 percent of your daily calories.
- Use olive oil to cook instead of butter
- Choose fish instead of red meat.
- Eat avocados and nuts
- Replace soda with green tea flavoured with lime or sugar free sweeteners.
- Limit your alcohol intake
- You also need to avoid red yeast supplements
Read the articles below too, they are interesting